Tuesday 12 May 2009

Bodgers Ball


The Bodgers Ball is the yearly meeting and AGM of the Association of Pole-lathe Turners & Greenwood Workers. The last time I went must have been about 17 years ago, but after spending so much time on the bodgers forum this year I thought I would put faces to people.
In reality it is not just an AGM as we know them, but a mini festival; a coming together of like-minded people to share knowledge and to have a bloody good time. There were a few stabbings, but just minor ones, and self inflicted! It also held one of the best attended AGMs I have been to, as well as the shortest, which is strange as it was also converting itself into a limited company. Defiantly a well run committee.
I have never driven so far to meet a bunch of people that I have only previously met in cyberspace. At least it was, as always advised, in a public space. I also almost forgot, these people are probably the best armed of any, with the most fascinating array of very sharp edge tools.

















I was one of the many people demonstrating, but the only person making fan birds which I think went down a treat.












I entered some of the competitions and actually won a first prize in the Field and Craft section for my green oak dragonfly.
















Early one evening I went over to see Paul and made my first pole-lathe turned bowl. It went surprisingly well, as Paul was a good teacher. Mind you - I did have a slight advantage as I have been using a pole lathe for over 17 years. It is not easy to relax when learning a new tool or technique, and looking at my hands in this photo, I do not think I could grip that chisel any harder.














Ten people made their own pole lathes over the weekend, I will be knocking one up soon!













We had an auction, mainly of tools. The auctioneer who was from Dorset was very entertaining, sorry I can not remember your name. Yes, I did buy a big box of old tools and I think I got a bargain. The two chaps at the bottom left of the picture are Robin on the left, and Mark in the middle. I have been following their blogs for some time.















Where else would you find a bar still working after the marquee has been taken down by the hire company? Most people left on late Sunday afternoon and this photo was taken at about 8.30pm.












I like this one; a fairy circle? No this was the whittling circle many of the shavings made by Robin Wood's whittlers.

All in all it was a fantastic weekend and an event well worth going to. If you read this blog, do come and say hi to me at next years ball, which should be nearer Devon.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, you island dwellers always complaining about how far you have to drive. Last October I drove from Colorado Springs to Annapolis (just over 1500 miles)in 26 hours just to spend 3 days at a boat show. Then I drove back. And I don't even own a boat! :)

    Wish we had that kind of activity in my backyard! I consider a 300-mile radius my backyard.

    Glad you guys had fun. Maybe one day I'll be able to attend.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete


Sorry, because of the huge amount of dubious people leaving spam comments for their useless stuff, I unfortunately have to bring back word verification.